Hinckley Ridge Baptist Church has been part of the community since 1838. Keep reading to find out more of the history of the church.
The early 1800s for Americans was a time of discovery of their continent. Those desiring to move west were attracted to this area, known as Township 4, Range 13 by the Connecticut Land Company, by its rugged ledges, and long, high ridges. North of the Ledges lay land perfect for farming; flat, rich and high on a ridge, a protection from flooding. Soon this land was purchased and farmed. The desire to move west was not the only force felt in these days. The Lord had been speaking to people through preachers during The Second Great Awakening (1795-1835), an evangelistic revival with the desire to bring the Gospel to the spreading American population. The farmers of Hinckley Ridge believed the Lord’s Word, and wanted to start a church, one that taught God’s Word, and was close to their farms. So, these God-fearing folk, namely, Enoch and Betsy Buck, Arad and Lydia Damon, Elizabeth Damon, Caleb Sarles and Susannah Courtwright, pooled their money and bought a piece of land 1/3 of a mile north of Center Road, and built on it a simple building, the home of the Hinckley First Free-Will Baptist Church.
They saved their money, and soon added a vestibule, bell tower, and a bell. Their first pastor's name was Rev. Frederick Walker. As time went on, and the Gospel was spread, the congregation grew. The original building held services for 126 years led by 24 pastors!
In the mid 1960's, they saw the need for a larger, more modern building, the one you see today. This building (which uses the original bell) has held services for 58 years, under four pastors. The Hinckley Ridge Baptist Church has always been a compassionate, outreaching church, serving in nursing homes, supporting missionaries and providing food for those in need.